The results for the Student Switch Off campaign 2011/12 are in and the winners are… CHILVER HALL! Over the year electricity usage in halls of residence reduced by 6.5% compared to the baseline usage. This is the equivalent amount of energy needed to:
- Keep 33 tonnes of CO2 out of the atmosphere
- Keep a 15W energy-saving lightbulb on for 471 years!
- Boil 1.9 million cups of tea!
These savings have been brought about largely as the result of the 150 students in halls who have pledged to do their bit to save energy and encourage their flatmates – great work everyone! The final leaderoard is as follows:
During 2009/10 the actions of students in halls and changes made by the University helped to reduce electricity usage in halls of residence by an average of 16.8%. The energy saved prevented over 62 tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. This is equivalent to the energy needed to:
- Power a an energy saving light bulb for 905 years
- Make 3.7 million cups of tea
- Fly from London to Manchester 710 times